Friday, 4 November 2016

DAY 2: Don't listen to people who tell you that you are smart

That's one of the mistakes I made when I was in school. People would always say to me; you don't need to study, you are smart or even when I was accepted to one of the top high schools in my regions they would say: don't worry, you won't have to study that hard, you are very clever for your age etc.
Guess what? I believed them! And I have slowly learned not to put much effort into anything, because I was smart anyway and that was all that mattered, right? The behavior that I have learned was: if I can solve this problem is because I am smart enough. However, if I can't, than that means that I am simply not smart enough to solve the problem so no point to put any effort into it, right? Oh so wrong. 
I brought this way of thinking into my "grown up" life and I have been struggling with productivity and putting effort into various projects, because all my life I was able to count on my school-trained-brains and I never really had to put any real effort into anything. 
I am currently in the process of changing this behavior, but oh my does it suck sometimes! I am determined to change this, however and I really hope it goes as planned. 
Did you have a similar experience growing up?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...