Friday, 2 January 2015

How I Treat My Skin During Winter


This winter has been quite freezing and I spent a part of my New Year's celebration out in the cold (it was around -14 Celsius). The low temperature did not destroy our celebration, however, and we happily ignored the cold with our hats, scarfs and warm mittens (and a sip or two, or three... or five of champagne). Sadly, I couldn't hide my face from the low temperatures and I could definitely feel the dry skin when I woke up the next morning. Do you get this feeling as well? I get it almost every morning and sometimes even during the day; my dry skin makes my face feel it is about to explode. Luckily, I have my (not so) secret treatment that always saves my dry skin. It is very simple and natural and I am sure you have some in your kitchen: OILs.

I find this treatment great, because it is also quite inexpensive and animal friendly, as it is not tested on these beautiful creatures, unlike many well-known brands. I make sure I buy unrefined, cold pressed and possibly organic oils, which make my skin feel soft and fresh again. There are countless different oils out there, but some of my favourite that I use for my skin are: 

Coconut Oil 
Avocado Oil
Argan Oil
Jojoba Oil
Walnut Oil
and I mustn't forget
Shea Butter

I gently massage them into my skin. Sometimes I only apply one of the oils, other times I combine different oils. My currently favourite combination is avocado oil, which is followed by shea butter, which moisturises my skin throughout the day. I also apply different mixtures after I take a shower to prevent my skin from getting dry again.
While applying the oils, I also massage them into my hands, hence I avoid cracked skin on my hands as well. This is what I call a win-win situation. 
As you can see I am a big fan of oils and I obviously use them for other treatments and around the house as well. 
Do you want me to talk about that in one of my future posts as well? Let me know in the comments below.
How do you treat your skin during winter? 



16 comments:

  1. I love coconut oil and shea butter! So helpful in these cold conditions

    Anything & Everything

    ReplyDelete
  2. Coconut oil is my favorite - and I find it also does wonders for my eczema which is a big bonus.


    xx Kathryn
    http://www.throughthethicket.ca

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love using oils on my skin, hair, nails and body :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Coconut oil clogged my pores like crazy. :-( I still love using it as an hair treatment. Jojoba works really well to remove makeup. I've been wanting to try argan oil but have been hesitant to use any oils has a facial moisturizer since my coconut oil experience, haha!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I never realpy had a cleansing or moisturising regime set in stone, and I have very combination skin, so this is very helpful! I must try these oils on my face, thanks :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Shea butter is my favourite as well! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I heard people treat eczema with coconut oil before and it is great to hear it helps you as well! x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yes, me too. And don't forget the kitchen ;)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh I am sorry to hear that :/ Luckily, I haven't had bad experiences with coconut oil and I do love jojoba oil as a makeup remover as well.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hope you like them as well Marianne :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Coconut and jojoba oils are my favourite. And shea butter is like a gift sent from heaven. My winter skin routine is quite similar to yours, usil oils has improved my skin's condition so much. Thanks for sharing that post! :)


    blondeandcupcakes.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. Chelsea Roderick04 January, 2015

    My skin is horrendously dry, even during summer months, I always have to be so careful with foundations and creams. I've never tried oils before. Will have to give this a go xx

    http://www.missyred.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  13. You are welcome Laura! I completely agree about shea butter ;)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I had little luck with various creams as well, but I am very satisfied with the oils. Hope they will help you as well Chelsea x

    ReplyDelete
  15. I haven't tried this! I feel like I should because I have eczema which makes my skin so dry, flaky, and ITCHY! I shall try this out soon! Though, does it make you feel oily?

    Thank you so much for your follow on Bloglovin!
    I followed you back, and I followed you on your other social media!
    I love your content! Keep it up!

    Good luck!

    Samantha @ livinonbrightside.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  16. My skin can get reallyyy dry during winter so almost nothing can make it oily :) Maybe do some research about, which oil could help you most. Personally, I like to use different oils every few days/weeks.
    Thank you for the follow!! :) x

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...