Monday, 5 January 2015

Adopt Don't Shop

The only way I could take a photo of her was to show her favourite doggy cookies :) That look though!
This is a story about my best furry friend Ajka (read Ayka), who was abandoned in a tiny box in front of a local school. She was adorable, but incredibly scared. Her big brown eyes melted our hearts and we decided to adopt her (YAY!!!). Once we brought her home, I was happy knowing that she would be taken care of from that day on. However, the thought that there are heartless people, who couldn't care less about these beautiful creatures, made me incredibly sad. It took her a few weeks to forget the sad and scary experience, and to become a happy and playful doggy that she is now. Her personality is AMAZING; she is incredibly loyal, kind and loves to play with children. She is on a professional level when it comes to cuddling and I think she is suspecting I am writing something about her as she has been walking in and out of the room looking at me suspiciously :) 

The reason why I am telling you this is because I sometimes come across people who think shelter dogs are wild/hard to train/“not cute”... This couldn't be further from the truth. The doggy adopted from the shelter will be forever grateful for saving their life. There are so many of them waiting for their human family and it breaks my heart when I see people who rather buy their furry friend from the shop. Personally, I don't believe any life should have a price in the first place. Secondly, buying an animal from the pet store normally means financially supporting horrible puppy mills. You can read more about them HERE (which I strongly suggest to anyone, who is not familiar with puppy mills; a cruel industry that I am sure no one wants to support).

With millions of unwanted dogs and cats (including purebreds) dying every year in animal shelters, there is simply no reason for animals to be bred and sold for the pet-shop trade. Without these stores, the financial incentive for puppy mills would disappear, and the suffering of these dogs would end.”

For the love of dog, ADOPT! 

*** other animals such as cats, rabbits, guinea pigs and many, many others deserve our love as well. There are many of them waiting for us in the shelters.***

For the love of animals, ADOPT! :)  

27 comments:

  1. I work in a cat and dog shelter (personally on the cat side) and it always amaze me to see their changes, even in the shelter. When they arrive many are scared, sometimes they even lash out, but since we keep them for two weeks before advertising for adoption (for medical reasons) we see them change. And the kitten that scratched me badly the first day when they understood we didn't want to harm them became a purring machine.
    The power of a bit of cuddle can have.
    And since they know what does it means to suffer they are so starved for affection. They can give so much!

    Go to a shelter and let them steal your heart :)
    (I swear if my mum didn't threated me each time I'd come home with a cat each week)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful post! What a cool initiative!

    ♥♥♥

    Jeanne

    http://www.fashionmusingsdiary.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such a beautiful story! All my pets have been rescue animals. I just adopted a stray cat last summer. I don't believe in going to a breeder, adopt is the only way! :)

    http://mintnotion.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aww that's great! I agree, they are beyond adorable and they all steal your heart in a second :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you Eden! :) I don't believe in going to a breeder either! x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Aw, Ajka is super cute!!
    This post just increased my love for dogs. I want to adopt a dog like since I was 10 but unfortunately I can't because of my parents.


    Lots of hugs, A

    myvolatilelove.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. My childhood companion was a shelter dog, and the most wonderful soul in the world. Your dog's face reminds me so much of her, because her hair grew the same way!

    Silly Medley: Lifestyle and Travel

    ReplyDelete
  8. Poor babies, I always said I would adopt from now on.

    Tegan xx - Permanent Procrastination

    ReplyDelete
  9. Chelsea Roderick06 January, 2015

    I really want a dog and think adopting them from shelters is a lovely idea xx

    MissyRed.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  10. So cute! I can't wait to adopt a dog in the next year! Xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank you! She is a lady, isn't she ;) Maybe you can adopt a dog once you move out and volunteer at the local shelter in the meantime? x

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hearing you (and other people) say that makes me really happy!! :D

    ReplyDelete
  13. Yes, dogs have wonderful souls, if you ask me :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I couldn't agree more :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Yay! Welcoming them in your family is always amazing :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh great idea Aniqa!! I've never thought of that!
    I need to do some research.
    Thank you!!


    Lots of hugs, A

    ReplyDelete
  17. Good luck! Hope you find it nearby :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. I totally agree, when I get a cat I most definitely get it from a shelter. It breaks my heart when innocent animals are left abandoned, or cruelly treated.

    http://wonderfulandweirdbeautyandlife.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  19. A wonderful post!! My second and third kitties came from a shelter. One is super clingy and the latest kitten was so scared of people but he's so loving now. Both are beautiful! I'm so happy that pet shops where I live must sell shelter kittens/cats from now on, I'm not sure about the dogs though.









    xx Kat @ Katness

    ReplyDelete
  20. Thank you for rescuing these cute furry friends! :) Yes, I read in the news about more and more shops "selling" shelter animals, which is great news! x

    ReplyDelete
  21. Yes, it breaks my heart as well. It is good that we as individuals can do something about it though :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. This is Zoe. I dare you to tell me she's "not cute." She is two years old and a shelter rescue dog. When she finally arrived at us, she had been through the ringer. She had people. Then somehow ended up in the pound. She's very submissive and did not defend herself enough to get food. She got very very thin. And very very sick. When she was rescued from that pound, she weighed 10 pounds (she is supposed to be 16), had worms, ear mites, and a UTI. She went to a foster family that nursed her back up to health and started the long journey getting her back up to weight. She has a history of abandonment and so every time we leave and come back, even if it is simply to take the trash out, she jumps into "I am SO HAPPY TO SEE YOU i thought you were never coming back EVER" mode. She is afraid of very loud noises. She is still skinny (though at 14.5 pounds now!) but is eating regular hearty meals and getting lots of treats. She is the fuzzy love of my life and the fact that anyone could have treated her so terribly on her road to us infuriates me.


    The fact that there are pups like this and there are still puppy mills and breeders out there infuriates me just as much. Adopt a dog from a shelter. They need love so much more than your pure-bred pup from a breeder. And don't even get me started on puppy mills.


    Adopting is so so so important to me. Who cares where your dog came from, what breed she is, or what her parents names were? What should be important to you is that she is your dog now and you are going to love her fiercely and endlessly

    ReplyDelete
  23. Hi Rebecca, I am so sorry for the late reply, your comment didn't show up in my messages before :( Your cat seems to be really smart! Just another example of why we should love and respect all animals! Thanks for sharing x

    ReplyDelete
  24. She is adorable! Thank you so much for sharing her story. It breaks my heart to think about all other animals who aren't as lucky as your Zoe or my Ajka. I do believe that a lot of people still aren't aware of puppy mills etc. so we need to keep on spreading the message until things finally change for the better x

    ReplyDelete
  25. We definitely definitely do. I have a friend who has two chihuahuas who used to be puppy mill bitches. Some of their behaviors are so sad it just breaks my heart because they were trained to believe things like food isnt always coming, etc. As long as we keep spreading the word and showing people how bad these places are, it will slowly incite change. And in the meantime, we need to cuddle our furry babies closer and remind them that they are loved.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Oh my god, poor puppies... :( But yeah, cuddle like crazy and spreading the message. We can do that ;)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...